Yes to YAG!

South’s government club heads to Jeff. City this weekend.

Courtesy of Anna Sawyer.

Jordyn Hadrill, Ben Wright, RJ Morrison, Abby Sprick, Anna Sawyer take a picture at last year’s conference in Jefferson City.

29 Patriot Youth And Government members left this morning for Jefferson City to participate in the Missouri Youth and Government State Conference.

Seniors Abby Sprick, Anna Sawyer, and Luke Ramsey have gone to Jefferson City all four years. to experience the thrill of debating bills after practicing in YAG club throughout the year. 

“Many of my friends joined YAG because we wanted to miss a couple days of middle school, but now I have a real interest in it and I am really glad I’m involved,” Sawyer said. 

After several years of participating in YAG, it is apparent how great of an opportunity this club has presented to several students. 

“It’s really interesting to see how the government works hands-on and it’s so fulfilling to spend a weekend learning about important things,” Sawyer said. 

Some of the best school-oriented high school memories happen on the YAG field trip to Jefferson City every December. 

“I love it because when you’re there it’s no pressure at all. If you don’t want to talk in the House all day then you don’t have to, but if you want to dominate the debate then you have the option to do that too,” Ramsey said. 

This trip is very self-led and the students can even decide what the best use of their time is during free time. 

“We have a tradition of all of us going to a Thai restaurant together and celebrating all of the hard work that has gotten us to this trip,” Ramsey said. 

“A lot of us walk down to a cafe before we go to debate the bills, it’s a super fun way to bond with everyone and get a kick start on the day,” Sprick said. 

This independence is further demonstrated throughout the weekend. 

“It’s so cool to be able to create a bill based on what you believe the Missouri government should change, and on top of that, you get to spend time in the actual government building in the house of representatives. A lot of students come up with really cool law ideas and even run for positions like Speaker of the House or Mayor!” Ramsey said. 

Many students portray a great passion for the YAG club and trip. 

“To anyone considering joining YAG in the future I would urge them to choose a bill they are passionate about and to not be afraid to debate the bills or question the authors,” Sprick said.