Halloween is here!

Students, teachers share opinions and stories about All Hallow’s Eve.

A+group+of+freshmen+gets+dressed+up+for+Halloween+at+a+YoungLife+meeting%2C+Oct.+28.+

Courtesy of Chelsea Bles

A group of freshmen gets dressed up for Halloween at a YoungLife meeting, Oct. 28.

Halloween is upon us. Murmurs of spooks, haunted houses, costumes, candy, and parties can be heard while walking through the halls. With Thursday just two days away, Parkway South High’s students are feeling the Halloween Spirit.

Halloween is celebrated by many people in many different ways, several of which are a result of traditions created in their childhood.

Trick or Treating is a good example of this. The act of going from house to house asking for candy is a custom stemming from many people’s childhood. Take sophomore Molly Meriwether for instance. She said she has gone Trick or Treating her entire life and has plans to continue doing so. 

“I’m going [Trick or Treating] until I’m a legal adult,” said Meriweather. 

Traditions are often a result of distinct memories that makes a person want to relive a past experience. Meriwether is no stranger to this. Her Halloween is defined by all of the fun stories she has made over the years. Meriwether recounts one such story. 

“I went Trick or Treating with my sister and we got lost,” she said. 

Halloween is not without its controversy, however. Many parents and teachers have concerns over the safety of their children. Computer Science Teacher and parent, John Heath is one such person. 

“[There is] always concerns with cars going too fast,” Heath said. “I would always walk with my kids, even when they got older.” 

Science teacher Katarina Deluca shares Heath’s concerns. 

“Yes, safety is a big concern. If any kid were out [Trick or Treating,] they should have a parent [with them],” Deluca said. 

Many dangers of Trick or Treating include tampering with candy, hazardous costumes, and most of all, automobile accidents. According to an article in Time Magazine, kids are twice as likely to be killed by a motor vehicle while Trick or Treating.

Trick or Treating is not the only way to celebrate Halloween. Many people celebrate Halloween in their own way. Freshman Owen Walaitis does not Trick or Treat. 

“[I] sit in [my] driveway by [a] campfire and hand out candy to Trick or Treaters,” he said. 

Heath says that he doesn’t take his kids Trick or Treating anymore, because they’re older. 

“We welcome families or kids to come get candy,” he said. 

Senior Abby Sprick said she still dresses up in costume, but does not Trick or Treat. Her favorite costume was when she dressed up as Dora The Explorer. 

Deluca directed attention to a new trend in Halloween celebrations. 

“Trunk or Treat [is] becoming more common,” she said. 

Trunk or Treating is a pre-planned event where volunteers of some organization like a church or school will hand out candy to costumed children from their trunks. This was designed to possibly be a safer alternative to Trick or Treating.

“How old is too old to trick or treat?” is the subject of an ongoing debate in the Halloween community. There are many different perspectives between the various students and staff at Parkway South High. Some believe in an exact maximum age for Trick or Treating. Walaitis believes that that age is 14. 

Deluca concurs with Walaitis, saying that people are too old “once you hit high school.” 

Some believe that there is no age to stop Trick or Treating. 

“I don’t think there is an age at which you shouldn’t be able to Trick or Treat,” Heath said.

If you live in Belleville, Illinois it is actually illegal to Trick or Trick if one is above the age of 12.

Nevertheless, Halloween has a warm place in the hearts of many of Parkway’s Students, even if for different reasons. It is one of those Holidays that don’t hold a higher meaning other than the festive activities, but some argue that’s what makes it special. Walaitis expresses this sentiment the best. 

“It’s more of just a fun thing; it doesn’t have any importance like Christmas [for example],” he said.