Carte’Are transfers to DePaul

SLU tries to extend its season without key player

Courtesy of SLU Billikens

Freshman Carte’Are Gordon tries to get past an Appalachian State opponent, Dec. 30.

As the 19-12 SLU Billikens prepare to play their first game in the Atlantic 10 Tournament on Thursday, they will be without their touted hometown 4-star recruit.

On January 3, the University granted freshman forward Carte’Are Gordon his release from the team. Then on Jan. 16, Gordon announced that he was transferring over to DePaul. The 6-foot-9-inch forward played in 13 games for the Billikens this season, averaging 8.9 points per game on 54.2 percent from the field while grabbing 4.1 rebounds per game.

Carte’Are was a four-star high school recruit from Webster Groves, and made 9 starts in 13 games for the Billikens as a freshman.  

Any team losing a starter can derail a season, according to Parkway South varsity basketball coach Matt Roach.

Losing a starter is a huge blow to a team. It takes time for the team to adjust to new roles and guys will have to step up and all of that takes time,” said Roach.

Losing a starter early in the season is a crucial blow to any team. SLU who was projected to finish first in the Atlantic 10 in the preseason. The team has battled through the loss with other players stepping up. For example, sophomore Hasahn French is averaging 9.1 points per game and 8.4 rebounds a contest.

The reason for Gordon transferring is unclear. However, Roach speculated on what the reason could be.

”One–they don’t like their playing time or the situation is playing out differently than they thought. Or they get removed or kicked off the team due to violating team rules,” he said.

For Gordon he has a history of changing his mind on where he wants to play basketball. In high school Gordon originally was a Vianney Griffin, but decided to switch to Webster Groves where he won two state titles in 2017 and 2018 alongside Courtney Ramey, now a freshman for the Texas Longhorns.

Transferring can be a good decision when things do not work out, according to Roach.

“I think it is the right decision when both parties agree that the fit is not working out.  Sometimes coaches and players agree to move on from each other. That happened with Mark Smith who transferred to Mizzou from Illinois. I am not sure I agree with transferring if it is just about playing time. With Carte’Are, he was only a freshman and there is a lot that can happen over the next few years. What happens when he transfers to Depaul and he doesn’t agree with playing time or the coaches decision?  Does he try and transfer again? It can create a tough cycle,” said Roach.

Gordon won’t be the only transfer for the Blue Demons. They already have four transfers on their roster, including Illinois transfer Jalen Coleman-Lands. It is currently unclear if Gordon will have to sit out a year or if he will be granted immediate eligibility.

“I hope he can play next year, I think he can win Big East Player of the Year,” said senior Charlie Held.

Gordon, born and raised in Saint Louis, is a tremendous athlete, according to Roach.

”I have seen him play, but I never had the chance to coach against him. In high school he was a force and a really good player.  I hope he does well and figures some things out on and off the basketball court,” said Roach.