Treaty

Off to a Great Start

JV boys' basketball enters JV invitational on Dec. 27

Junior Dominic Gong races past his DeSmet opponent with the ball, Dec. 12. The Patriots lost to the Spartans, 56-53.

Josh Diersen

Josh Diersen

The JV boys basketball team will take a 4-1 record into the Parkway JV Invitational tournament on Dec. 27.

The starters for the JV team are sophomores Derek Becker, Jack Crayton, Joe Vankirk, and Jones Reavis, and juniors Caleb Winkle, Paul Stone, Dom Gong, and Demetric Wilson. The captains are Becker and Crayton.

Kylan Chatman and Wilson, both juniors, and are both new to the school. Chatman has been playing for seven years, but this is his first year on South’s team. Wilson has been playing for five years, and it’s also his first time on South’s team. Captain Becker has been playing for eight years. Last year’s record was 22-3, they hope to do even better this year.  

“We are looking forward to a successful season,” Coach Justin Moulder said.

After winning their first game the Patriots are excited for the season to come.   

“I feel like the third game was the best because there was a lot of support,” Wilson said.

Chatman and Wilson hope to win against Desmet and Marquette; their goal is to go through the season undefeated.
“I feel like we need to have more fun. In order to have good chemistry we need to have fun,” Wilson said.  

Another goal is to talk more. In order to achieve these goals the boys and Moulder are planning to work hard, this includes implementing a new strategy.

We are running a new spread offense, we can shoot the ball well,” Moulder said.

So far this season there are three injuries which include Eli Veltrop with a broken tibia, Kyle Clore with an injured shoulder, and Wilson with an injured ankle. Along with the injuries they have another struggle that is hitting the team.

“We aren’t that big,” Moulder said.

The tallest player is Kyle Clore at 6’6”, and the shortest is Chatman at 5’7”. However; that doesn’t stop them from playing well.

Moulder has been a coach for 18 years, and his players seem to like him.

“He’s a very good coach and he pushes everyone really hard,” Becker said. This isn’t Becker’s first year with Moulder as a coach.

“Our coach moved from freshman to JV with us, there wasn’t much of a difference,” Becker said.

The captains Crayton and Becker were selected by Moulder to help take this team to the top.

“Well it makes me feel like I’m more of a role model and a leader to everyone else on the team,” Becker said.

• Off to a Great Start

Sports

Patriot football faces undefeated Wildcats tomorrow night

• Off to a Great Start

Sports

Wins over Oakville, Mehlville highlights of boys golf season

• Off to a Great Start

Sports

Thompson scores 1000

• Off to a Great Start

Sports

Parkway racquetball wins national championship–again

• Off to a Great Start

Sports

Patriots defeat DeSmet, advance to District Championship tonight

• Off to a Great Start

Sports

Cardinal fever!

• Off to a Great Start

Sports

Boys track athletes trained to get ready for spring

• Sports

Patriot girls beat Ursuline, face Kirkwood tonight

• Off to a Great Start

Sports

Girls’ basketball faces Ursuline tonight

• Off to a Great Start

Sports

Patriots vs. Spartans tomorrow night

The student news site of Parkway South High School
Off to a Great Start