Making a Splash

36 girls have joined this year’s swim team

Max Arnold

Sophomore Adelle Simmons reaches for the water while doing the butterfly.

Swimming is a pretty popular sport at South High. There are 36 people on the girls swim team for this season.

Freshman Hayley Avise, sophomore Sammy Brown, and junior Madeline Ryterski all said that they are most excited for their annual trip to Cape Girardeau. They go there for a meet and get to stay for two days. They swim in a competition called “City of Roses,” at Cape Central Pool.

Brown says that she hopes it will be a good season for everyone.

“There were mostly wins for the whole team last year,” Brown said. “Hopefully this year we will have a lot of wins too.”

As far as new swimmers this year, Kirsten Votava is rejoining the team as a senior after being homeschooled her sophomore and junior year. She did swim her freshman year.

“Kirsten will be a huge help in getting our relays to state as well as her individual races,” Head coach Sara Gerth said. “We’re excited to have her back.”

Morning practices are a big part of girls swimming. The team has at least one morning practice a week.

“I prefer morning practice on Fridays rather than having them after school” Ryterski said. “However getting up at four in the morning is a struggle.”

For Gerth, conference is the most important meet of the season.

“Lots of kids will make state that haven’t made it so far,” said Gerth. “As a team, we work hard to meet our goals for state.”

Upcoming meets for the team are this Tuesday against Parkway North and this Saturday is the Lindbergh Invite.

“I’m excited to see how our team will improve this year,” Ryterski said. “We didn’t lose any seniors with state cuts so we will still have a good team.”

Avise is one of the six freshmen on the team this year. Being a freshman on the team, she said is hard.

“It’s hard, because we are not nearly as fast as everyone else and we have trouble making all of the intervals sometimes,” She said

The team has “sisters” which includes a freshman or sophomore paired with a junior or senior.

“Team sisters help upperclassmen form relationships with the younger girls,” Ryterski said. “Part of this is bringing a gift every home meet for your sister.”

Having goals for the season is something that all three of these girls and the coach have.

“My goal is to cut my times, so basically to do better,” Brown said. “I want to perfect the small things, like having better turns, dives, and breathing.”

Avise said she also has a goal.
“I want to be able to make all the intervals and swim in more varsity races.” Said Avise about her goal.

Ryterski has a goal, as well.

“I want to make top 16 in 100 fly at conference” Ryterski said.

So does the coach.

“My goal is to get more people to state and be able to score at state,” said Gerth.

The team got all their relays and even a few individuals to swim at state last year.

They all have pretty similar goals for the season.

Being on the team for three years, Ryterski talked about who the toughest matchup will be this season

“Lafayette and Marquette are definitely going to be our toughest meets.” Ryterski said.                                 

Her coach and the other girls agree.

Coach Gerth talked some about what she is like as a coach.

“I have high expectations for all of the girls, but I know when they need a break,” Gerth said. “In terms of character, being on time, managing time, and representing our school is important. I want them all to be able to leave this program being better people.”

Talking about teams that they could beat, Brown gave insight.

“Oakville and Mehlville are definitely easier matchups,” Brown said.

“Parkway West is usually tough, but we beat them in Marquette relays,” Ryterski said about their event from December.