The secret life of Dr. Aitch

Beekeeper, house builder, football official, world traveler, teacher and principal. These are all words that describe Parkway South High’s leader, Principal Patrice Aitch.

That’s right, most students don’t know it, but Aitch does have a life outside of school. It’s a pretty interesting one, too.

“There’s a lot of things that we don’t know about her and her life,” said freshman Delaney Ditto.

Aitch attended Southwest Missouri State University (now Missouri State) as an undergrad. Then, Aitch went to UMSL for her Master’s Degree, and lastly she went to Missouri Baptist for her Doctorate.

In her college years, Aitch said she developed an interest in football. Since she wasn’t going to play, she found another way to get involved. She took a Football Theory class at SMS and soon hit the field in her own way as a football official.

After college she became a teacher and cheer coach at Marquette High School. In 2000, Aitch moved on to Assistant Principal at Parkway South where she met many new people.

One of the many friends she’s made was Sandee Werner, her first secretary here at South.

“[Aitch’s] very creative and she’s very fun and we always had a good time. We had a lot of laughs but we got our work done,” said Werner.

While Aitch doesn’t teach Drafting or Construction Technology, maybe she could because she actually built her own house with the help of her family.

“I loved that I got to do it with my dad and mom. It’s not comparable,” said Aitch.

She said the building of the house took about three years and a nailed finger to complete, but Aitch never gave up.

“Oh my gosh, sense of relief and accomplishment!” said Aitch about how she felt when she finished her house.

On her property, Aitch began to beekeep two years ago. She said she has been through two honey harvests and a sting to the face.

Most students don’t know that teachers have lives out of school, especially not lives as interesting as Aitch’s.

“No I did not know. I think it’s different. I didn’t expect it from her,” said senior Jackson Keller when he found out about Aitch’s beekeeping hobby.

Aitch also has another interesting hobby–she loves to travel. She’s been to Japan, Hawaii, Egypt, Germany, France, England, and more places around the world.

“Hawaii, I feel like everyone just has to go there,” said Aitch about her favorite places she’s been.

As a former history teacher, Aitch said she is very interested in culture and ways of life. She especially loves the places where she can learn more about these things.

“I’ve been to Egypt twice, and I would go again in a New York minute,” said Aitch.

Aitch has a lot of interests, but her main priority is this school. Her co-workers can see this about her.

“She’s very committed to seeing this building and these people succeed,” said assistant principal Corey Sink.

Aitch has gotten this far in her life by following her dreams and never giving up.

“Take advantage of whatever opportunities are available and just go man, go,” said Aitch.