Jake Rocklage: Vision Reimagined

“My mindset is, try to do everything I can do now while I’m still young, just in case I can’t do it in the future.” said freshman Jake Rocklage.

Rockledge was born with Retinitis Pigmentosa, a disease in which the back wall of the eye (retina) is damaged. This diagnosis renders Rocklage nearly blind, but this has not kept him from pursuing his dreams. Few people with the disease go on to pursue dreams of music and becoming the composer for a video game soundtrack, like Rocklage. Rocklage talked about how he deals and succeeds with his problems.

Rocklages interests include music and video games and spends his down time playing video game and watching YouTube.

Freshman Aaron Zoellner, is one of Rocklage’s good friends,

“He is a very loyal friend. When he wants to do something, he perseveres with it,” Zoellner Said.

Rocklage is described by his friends as a funny and laid back kind of guy.

Freshman Jonathan Brodsky, another one of Rocklages good friends, says “if you get to know him you’ll find something to laugh about in common.”

Rocklage is a huge lover of music and is very passionate about it. Just last year he was hired to compose music for a video game: Portal 2 TimeX. He plays guitar and piano both in band and at home. He takes music theory, band and is involved with marching band as well.

Rocklage is known by his classmates for being a good guitar player and he said he works very hard at it.

“I got into guitar when my brother got Guitar Hero 2 for PlayStation and I really liked it,” Rocklage said.

When he’s in his classes he and his teachers collaborate so he can have the best learning experience. Lisa Kinworthy, the assistant band director, explains how it’s not hard to accommodate with his learning abilities,

“We try to provide recordings or make his music bigger. He’s very good at sight memory. He doesn’t need to look at something long to know it well.”

Rocklage also takes Japanese 1 and he says it is his favorite class he is taking. Aaron Cook, Rocklage’s Japanese teacher, has just about the same words to describe Jake as Kinworthy,  “He is very determined,” said cook.

Rocklage and Cook work together to find the best learning technique that works out for them both.

“I have to make certain modifications, but he’s good at reminding me when I forget sometimes. I use Quizlet a lot and I have to give an audio cue for the English word. If he needs to I will have him sit at my desk and look at the computer for videos.” Says Cook.

And while learning a language or playing an instrument can be hard for anyone, Rocklage excels in his classes and continues to work hard.

Rocklage was born with retinitis pigmentosa, and although it didn’t become a large issue until middle school, there were signs that led to his impaired vision before that point.

The way the world looks to Rocklage is different than most people.

“My parents said that in third grade it was hard for me to walk out of the house in the dark. And in Kindergarten I had trouble catching a ball,” said Rocklage.

As of now there is no cure for the disease, but Rocklage has hope for the future, as his doctors say that he is not expected to go completely blind. His vision still remains an issue for him and it will slowly grow worse, yet Rocklage remains positive and continues on working hard and doing what he loves.

Rocklage has thought about his future and after high school he has ideas for what he wants to do.

“I’m hoping to get a job dealing with music competition. If not that, then something like voice acting and maybe even singing.” Says Rocklage.

Rocklage has not let his disease get in the way of his normal life and he pursues his passions now and will continue to do so as he grows older. Rocklage knows that he may not be like like most people vision wise, but he doesn’t fall back from him peers and continues to drive on.

Kinworthy says that “He sometimes has to do things differently than his classmates but he always makes sure that he is doing just as good.”